Import / Transit Requirements for Cats and Dogs into India
Pets must be micro chipped. The microchip must be either implanted before the Rabies vaccination or with the rabies vaccination
Pets must have two Rabies vaccination. The current Rabies vaccination must be greater than 30 days old and less than one year old on the travel date. The vaccination stickers have to be in the vaccination cards / books. The document must show the vaccination sticker that gives the manufacturer of the rabies vaccine, the type of rabies vaccine, the batch or lot number, the date given and the date of expiration.
Normal Canine and Feline vaccinations
Pets must have two sets of general vaccinations, one current and the prior one. The current canine and feline vaccinations must be greater than 30 days old and less than one year old on the travel date. The vaccination documents must show the vaccination stickers that gives the manufacturer of the rabies vaccine, the type of rabies vaccine, the batch or lot number, the date given and the date of expiration
- Feline Enteritis
- Feline Pan Leukopenia
Health Certificate (Valid for 10 days)
The pets have to be accompanied by a health certificate issued by a private veterinarian certifying compliance with the above requirements and countersigned by the State Vet.
Two health certificate has to be done within 7 days of departure. First one is needed in order for application of the NOC document and once it has been issued another health certificate has to be done.
~ Our clients will be supplied with the correct & filled in Heath Certificate.
Sending Pets To India
Kindly Note: There are still extensive variations on these requirements/regulations as each airport/quarantine office, city and state has a different interpretation of these new rules. Many local authorities have a poor understanding of the rules and subsequently India has become one of the most difficult countries on the globe to import a personal pet into.
Individual officers in the Animal Husbandry and Customs departments will often require additional items and documentation on short notice as these rules are re-interpreted by them.
Because of all of this we strongly suggest that you make use of an agent in India to assist with the NOC/ Import Permit and clearance at the airport. Our agents approach has to recognize these shifting rules and regulations. Their local import teams must work closely with these officers and these departments to ensure that our client’s pet imports proceed with a minimum delay in obtaining the NOC/Import Permit wherever possible.
Number of Pets Per Family
Getting Documentation Ready
GETTING DOCUMENTATION READY & NOC (NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE = IMPORT PERMIT) APPLICATION
- All documents must be in English.
- All documents copies or scans must be in color. They must be in proper PDF format, and no pictures from a phone or camera are acceptable.
- The pet’s “ownership” is determined by the “owner’s” name in the pet’s paperwork (health certificates, vaccination card or pet passport etc.).
- A pet can, however, also travel in the name of a spouse or other adult family member if the pet’s paperwork/ownership matches the family member and they are therefore the “owner”.
- All documentation for the “owner” and pet must be in the EXACT name as “owners” name in their passport. For example, ”John Joseph Jones” It is always recommended to use the transferring employee’s name as the authorities are more inclined to accept this.
- The rule is that officially pets must arrive within 7 – 14 days of their “owners” first immigration stamp arrival into India (in their passport and stamped at the airport) after being issued a proper work visa. If the “owner” is a spouse or adult dependent, pets must arrive within 7 – 14 days of their first immigration stamp arrival into India after being issued a proper spouse / dependent visa.
- Some gateway cities do offer flexibility outside this 7 – 14 day window. This can be checked with the relevant authorities on this on a case by case basis.
- All foreigners get a Registration Certificate / Residential Permit from the Foreign Resident Registration Office (FRRO) and this document/s needed to apply for the NOC.
- The process to obtain a NOC takes approximately seven days from receiving the “owner’s” FRRO registration documentation in India.
- The “owner’s” original passport may be required for six or seven days before the pet/s arrives in India and may also be required for two days after the pet/s arrives. In most cases it is returned on the pet’s delivery day. CAUTION: The owner’s passport might be needed on those days for their household goods arrival. Please ask their shipper. Our agent may be able to work with the shipper to hand off the original passport to them during this six to nine day period that we need the original passport.
- The passport is required to apply the quarantine NOC. This is the first permission to bring the pet to India.
- This NOC is required for the airline and the state vet authorities which allows the pet to depart from the origin country to arrive into India.
- The NOC takes two to three working days to obtain.
- Once the NOC has been obtained the original quarantine NOC and original owner passport goes to a customs officer at the cargo terminal for a second permission which is called customs permission. Depending on the officers on duty, this can take anywhere from two to five working days to complete.
- The transferee or spouse / family member or both may be required to be present at the airport quarantine inspection station when their pet arrives. This is rare but possible.
- On a case by case basis the pet may also need a quarantine inspection / veterinary inspection after arrival. This usually occurs one to two days after its landing into India, and owners may be asked to be present again. This is rare but possible.
Documents Needed 30 Days Before Arrival
The following is required no later than 30 days before the pets scheduled arrival. The earlier the process is started, the better.
- Three pictures of the pet – Front face, left and right side body including face.
- Copy of the vaccination book / card that shows the pets details (name, age, date of birth, sex, color, breed, weight and microchip number) as well as most recent Rabies and annual vaccinations.
- The transferee’s complete passport, including all pages, every single page whether blank or not. We check and make sure of several factors – the exact name as on passport, the nationality, the amount of time spent in India, and visas.
- If Applicable, the spouse/family member’s complete passport, including all pages, every single page whether blank or not. We check and make sure of several factors: The exact name as on passport, the nationality, the amount of time spent in India and visas. This is only required when the pet travels in the name of a spouse / family member.
- Marriage certificate is needed if any residency or utility documents/invoices are in joint names or if a pet travels in the name of the spouse.
- If there have been any short visits to India during the last two years, the arrival date, departure date, number of days per stay and total number of days in the last two years as well as the passport page numbers of the stamps in your passport are required. If the transferee / spouse/ family member has visited and stayed in India for more than 180 days (before the pet arrives to India) in the last two years, a pet cannot enter India.
- Copy of transferee / employee’s full employment contract for origin job (last two years at least) on origin company letterhead. This must be multiple pages (the authorities like to see many pages) and you cannot blacken out or hide any sensitive information. Salary must be shown as well as job title or position, signed by transferee and HR or supervisor and with company stamp.
- Copy of the employee’s full employment contract for new India job / position (Two years assignment at least) on India company letterhead. This must be multiple pages (the authorities like to see many pages) and you cannot blacken out any sensitive information. Salary must be shown as well as job title or position, signed by transferee and HR or supervisor and with Company stamp.
- PLEASE NOTE: #6 and 7 above are required if available but sometimes offer letters and similar documents can replace these two requirements. A letter written in detail by origin or destination company can work.
- Transfer letter should the wording on the employment contracts not be in order. This will be advised by the import agent.
- Copy of one utility bill (electric, water, cable or telephone, mobile or landline) for at least two years at origin location. All pages of each and every monthly billing….multiple pages per month………no summaries or history reports allowed. This is required to prove at least two years living at origin. i.e. For example, if the move date is February 1, 2015, we need two years from January 2013 through January 2015. There is a slight amount of flexibility on the utility bill date as it approaches the pet’s move date.
- Copy of the letter that the transferee’s India side company wrote to India authorities to get work visa in India. And, if applicable, copy of letter that the transferee’s India side company wrote to India authorities to get proper visa for spouse / family member in India.
- Copy of work visa. It must be the proper work visa, category E for employment, for the authorities to allow a pet to enter India.
- Quarantine declaration form that we supply (not needed in New Delhi) notarized by public notary or attested by Indian Consulate in origin country before transferee leaves origin country.
- Owners full address at origin and address in India with two contact phone numbers at each location. This is required ASAP and at least 30 days before the pet’s flight. The destination address, when not yet available, can be the company’s address.
Documents Needed 7 Days Before Arrival
The following is required no later than 7 days before the pets scheduled arrival.
- Copy of “owners” airline reservations / e-ticket confirmation for flight(s) to enter India for the first time after receiving proper work / spouse / dependent visa. This is given to us when the reservations are made and at least seven days before pet arrives.
- Copy of boarding pass for above flights.
- Copy of Immigration stamp from your passport for above flight. This proves you arrived into India.
- Registration Certificate / Residential Permit that all foreigners must get when they land in India – This should be completed by transferee / spouse or family member within a day or two of landing in India. NOTE: Transferee / spouse or family member must arrive in India and get FRRO before pet can arrive. This has to be provided to us when obtained, after “owner” arrives to India and at least seven days before pet arrives.
- When the employee commences the position in India, a letter is needed on India company letterhead stating, “To Whom it may Concern: name as on passport, and title, has arrived and started position in India on this date. This must be signed by supervisor or HR and have the company stamp. This is provided to the import agent when obtained, after “owner” arrives to India and at least seven days before pet arrives.
- Bill of Lading / Airway bill for household goods. This is provided by your moving company.
- Proof of residence in India which can be a rent / lease agreement or home mortgage or Hotel info that is on your FRRO.