As humans we crave companionship, a feeling of closeness to either other humans or to our beloved pets.
At Global Paws we are all animal lovers, we love our pets with all of our hearts and because of that we understand why our clients love their own pets so much.
February the month of love makes you think about love and the loved ones in your life, but what about loving something too much?
Is it really possible for us as humans to love our pets too much? There are a few reasons why non animal lovers might think that we as animal lovers love our pets too much…
- You would much rather spend Friday night curled up on your couch watching a movie with your precious pet than going out on the town with your friends.
- You refer to your pet as “my child” or when speaking to them refer to yourself as their “mom” or “dad” and of course your mom and dad in turn is their “grandmother” and “grandfather”.
- When your friends and family start taking out photos of their children you start taking out photos of your pet and why not.
- You decline the offer of a weekend away because it will mean that you would need to leave your pet in a kennel or at home with a sitter and you would spend your time worrying about your pet in any case.
- You allow your pet to give you “kisses” and you give kisses back, and yes even on the mouth sometimes.
- You have a Facebook or / and Instagram profile for your pet and your pet has even more followers than you on Instagram!
- You spend more money on bedding and clothes for your pet than on yourself.
- When you get up to get a glass of water and your pet takes over your space on the couch you just sit somewhere else, why on earth would you want to disturb such a beautiful angel’s sleep.
- You keep on checking your watch when you are out and about because you have to be home at exactly 6pm to feed Sparkie.
- When you are away from home and someone else has to look after your pet, you either phone or Skype on a daily basis to speak to them.
To all the non-pet lovers out there at the end of a long day when we as pet lovers are curled up on the couch or on the bed with our precious pets we realise that there rarely is such thing as loving your pet too much. Why you might ask, because there are far too many pets sitting in shelters or on the street without a place to call home.
Our pets forms a big part of our life and sometimes we form their entire life. The “unhealthy” love we have for our pets give us that sense of belonging and companionship that we as humans crave. Therefore the best place for me to be is at home because home is where my pet is…